Post Election Update 2022
July 1, 2022
While Voices for the Senate was not registered in time for the May election we expect to be registered in July, giving us plenty of time to prepare for the next election.
The election results indicate that:
- It is almost impossible for an Independent Senate candidate to win from ‘Below the Line’
- Independents grouped ‘Above the Line’ but with no Party name or logo struggle to do better than candidates ‘Below the Line’
- The 6th Senator elected in each State will have received between 2% and 7% of first preference votes. These numbers are realistically achievable for independent candidates running with the support and co-operation of the community-Independents movement.
With the next Federal election in mind our priorities for the rest of 2022 include:
- Get registered. The AEC will continue with the formalities and we expect to be a registered political party in July
- Conduct a review of the election outcomes and process with some key stakeholders from the Community Independent movement, to inform any changes to our approach for next time.
- Hold our AGM in October which will be an opportunity to adopt constitutional changes and elect a new Committee.
Stay tuned for news about our Party registration and announcements about our AGM.